How Do I Bind with the Akiles EcoBind-C Comb Binding Machine?
The Akiles EcoBind-C comb binding machine is a affordable, entry-level comb binder that is suitable for low-to-medium volume binding usage. The EcoBind-C has a number of features that are traditionally found in professional-level machines – such as fully-disengaging punching dies and a depth margin control – but with simplified all-manual operation and a lower price point. Below is a step-by-step guide to binding documents with the Akiles EcoBind-C comb binder:
- Place your EcoBind-C onto a flat, sturdy working surface.
- Adjust the Side Margin Guide based on the size of your document. The built-in ruler guide makes alignment easier and more precise.
- Slide the Depth Margin Control (located on the left side of the machine) to position 1, 2, or 3 based on the size of the document. The Depth Margin Control dictates how much of a margin exists between the holes and the edge of the page. For small books will be bound with combs that are 1/2″ or smaller in diameter, use position 1. For medium-sized books will be bound with combs that are 9/16″ to 1″ in diameter, use position 2. For large books will be bound with combs that are 1-1/8″ or larger, use position 3.
- Use the disengaging dies to eliminate any partially-punched holes based on your sheet size. To disengage a pin, simply pull the metal arm straight out from the machine until it stops.
- Insert up to 20 sheets (based on 20 lb. paper) into the punching throat. Ensure that the pages are aligned against the side margin guide.
- Pull the punching handle down to punch the document. Because the handle designs allows for two-handed punching, you can punch up to 20 pages at a time with minimal effort.
- Repeat the punching process in sets until all pages have been punched.
- Select the appropriate binding comb size using the diameter selector (located on the right side of the machine next to the disengageable dies).
- Place the comb onto the comb opener so that the rings of the comb are between the the tines of the opener. The open side of the comb should be facing up.
- Gently turn the Comb Opener Handle counterclockwise to open the comb. Once the comb has been sufficiently opened so that the pages of the document can be inserted, stop turning the handle.
- Jog the pages by tapping them against a flat surface, then insert them onto the comb with the front cover facing down. When binding large documents, you may find it easier to break the document into smaller sets while inserting them onto the comb.
- Once all of the pages have been inserted, rotate the Comb Opener Handle clockwise to close the comb.
- Lift the book straight up to remove it from the comb opener and complete the binding process.