The Akiles VersaMac modular binding machine is versatile binding machine that is designed for high-volume use and features interchangeable punching dies for added flexibility. Below are the steps for changing out the punching die on the VersaMac binding machine:
- Begin by turning off the power. Never change a punching die while the power is on, and only turn the power on after the punching die has been fully inserted and the die clamp is in the “locked” postion.
- Lift the lever on the die clamp and turn it counterclockwise to release the punching die. While turning the level, make sure that the lever does not hit the Depth Margin Adjustment bar to avoid damaging the machine.
- Gently pull on the punching die handle to slide the installed punching die out of the machine. When the punching die is approximately halfway out, use both hands to hold the die and remove it completely. Each die weighs over 10 lbs. and care should be taken to avoid dropping or damaging it.
- Use the included cleaning brush to remove any paper debris from the punching throat and other open areas on the machine.
- Insert the desired die into the Die Set Channel located on the right side of the machine, sliding it completely into the machine.
- Turn the die clamp clockwise to secure the punching die in place.
- Turn the power switch on. The indicator light for “Die In” will turn green if your die has been properly inserted.
- Adjust the depth margin position based on the document that will be bound. Each die (with the exception of the Velobind and 3-hole dies) has four punching depth settings – 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm. Adjustments are made by pulling or pushing the Depth Margin Control Bar to the left or right side of the machine.