How Do I Bind Books with the Fellowes Star+ 150 Comb Binding Machine?
Ideal for home and small office use, the Fellowes Star+ 150 comb binding machine features user-friendly controls that make professional binding results easy to achieve. In addition to having streamlined operation, the Star+ 150 comb binder has a small desktop footprint, with a unique folding design that makes for convenient transportation and storage.
Below are step-by-step instructions for binding books with the Fellowes Star Plus 150 comb binder:
- Place the machine onto a flat and stable surface, ensuring that the waste tray is empty and properly inserted.
- Open the cover of the machine and verify that the comb opener lever (located on the left side of the machine) is pushed back.
- Lift the punch handle upward to extend it into its operating position.
- If necessary, use the comb guage located on the storage tray to select a plastic binding comb of the correct diameter.
- Place a plastic binding comb onto the comb opener, positioning it so that the solid side is behind the metal tines and the open side of the comb is facing up.
- Pull the comb opener lever forward to open the comb to the desired position. The binding comb should be opened enough to allow the punched pages of your document to be easily inserted, while leaving enough of the prongs extended to hold the sheets.
- Set the adjustable edge guide based on the size of the sheets that are being punched. The edge helps to ensure that your document is centered within the punch and provides consistent hole placement throughout each of your documents.
- Punch your document, beginning with the front and back covers. Insert the pages to be punched into the punching throat, positioning them flush against the edge guide and the bottom of the throat. Using even pressure, pull the punch handle forward until the dies punch through the sheets. Return the handle to its upright position to retract the dies and complete the punch. Note: It is highly recommended that you punch a few scrap sheets before punching your document to verify proper positioning of the edge guide.
- Continue punching until all of the pages of your document have been punched, working in sets of up to 12 sheets (based on 20 lb. paper) to avoid overloading the machine. Note: When punching cover stock, clear PVC binding covers, or thick paper, you will need to adjust the number of sheets per punch in order to prevent damage to the machine. As a general guideline, you will only be able to punch 2 – 3 covers per pull.
- Place the punched sheets onto the open 19-ring binding comb, arranging them so that the front cover is first and faces down. If you are binding a large book, you may find that it is easier to break the pages down into sets instead of trying to insert them onto the comb all at once.
- After all of the pages have been placed onto the comb, push the comb opener lever back to close the comb and secure the pages within it.
- Life the document straight up to remove it from the comb opener.