The Swingline GBC CombBind C800pro comb binding machine is a heavy-duty electric comb binder that is designed for high-volume use in a professional environment. It has a high-capacity punch that is capable of punching up to 25 sheets at a time, and also features an adjustable comb opener that makes the binding process even faster and more efficient. With fully-disengageable dies and an adjustable punching depth margin, the CombBind C800pro comb binding machine can accommodate a wide range of sheet sizes and document thicknesses.
Below are step-by-step instructions for binding books using the Swingline GBC CombBind C800pro comb binder:
- If this is the first time that the machine is being used, it will need to be assembled prior to binding. Attach the handle to the left side of the machine, pushing it in firmly to secure.
- Turn on the machine using the power switch located on the right side. The motor takes approximately 30 seconds to reach full speed.
- Set the depth margin for the punch by using the black dial on the right side of the machine (located above the power switch). The CombBind C800pro has four available depth margins – from 1/16″ to 3/16″ – to accommodate a wide range of document sizes. As a general guideline, thicker books require a wider margin than thinner books do, as it allows for easier page turning and creates a more secure bind.
- Position the side guide to match the page size of the document that is being punched.
- Disengage dies as desired to prevent partial holes from being punched along the edges of the sheet. To disengage a die, pull the silver lever that corresponds to the die straight out until it stops. If a die needs to be re-engaged, push the corresponding lever into the machine so that it aligns with the rest of the levers. To punch the standard 19-hole pattern on 11″ paper, disengage the first and last dies.
- Place up to 25 sheets of paper (based on 20 lb. stock) into the punch, positioning it so that it is flush with the side guide and the back of the punching throat. Note: If you are punching thicker paper or cover stock, you will need to reduce the number of pages per punch in order to avoid jamming the machine.
- Step on the foot pedal to engage the motor and punch through your document.
- Continue punching your document, working in sets of up to 25 sheets until all pages have been punched.
- Use the black knob located on the left side of the machine to set the comb opener to match the size of the plastic binding comb that is being used. Begin by turning it clockwise, then pull the comb opener handle until it reaches the desired position. Turn the knob counterclockwise to set the comb opener. This will allow you to open combs to the right size every time, improving efficiency when binding groups of the same document.
- Place a plastic binding comb into the comb opener, positioning it so that the tines of the comb are between the metal prongs and the open side of the comb is facing up.
- Pull the handle forward to open the comb, then place the pages of your book onto the open tines so that the front cover is facing you. If you are binding a large book, you may find it easier to feed the pages onto the comb in smaller sets instead of placing them all on at once.
- Once all of the pages are on the comb, lay them flat onto the top of machine and return the comb opener handle to the starting position to close the comb and finish the bind.
- Lift the book straight up from the comb opener.