How Do I Bind with the Tamerica ECO-34 Wire Binding Machine?
The Tamerica ECO-34 wire binding machine is an entry-level 3:1 wire binder that offers basic features and all-metal construction at a cost-effective price point. The ECO-34 wire binder has a manual punch that is capable of punching up to 15 sheets per pull (based on 20 lb. paper) and a built-in wire closer for a complete punch-and-bind solution. Below is a step-by-step guide to document binding with the Tamerica ECO-34 wire binder:
- Set the side margin control based on the page size of your document. To adjust the side margin, loosen the screw and slide it to the desired position. Tighten the screw to secure it in place. Because the ECO-34 does not have any disengageable dies, setting the side margin correctly is key to ensuring that there are no partially-punched holes along the edges of your document.
- Turn the knob located on the left side of the machine so that the arrow points to “Punching” to engage the punching dies.
- Insert up to 15 sheets (based on 20 lb. paper) into the punching throat, being careful to align it so that it is flush against the side margin and the back of the punching throat.
- Pull the handle forward to punch through the pages, then return the handle to its upright position to complete the punch. Remove the punched pages.
- Continue punching in 15-sheet sets until the entire document has been punched.
- Use the built-in size guage to determine the appropriate 3:1 binding wire size for your document. Pull out the drawer on the front of the machine table and insert your document into the guage. The measurement that is listed corresponds to the diameter of wire that should be used.
- Hang the wire from the wire holder located on the front of the machine (immediately above the punching throat).
- Insert the pages of your document onto the wire, starting with the back page and working forward. The back cover should be inserted last, and should be placed face down. This will help to hide the seam of the wire after binding.
- Lift the wire and the document off of the wire holder and insert it into the wire closer. The open side of the wire should be placed so that it rests flat against the bottom of the wire closer.
- Turn the knob on the left side of the machine so that the arrow points to the size of wire that is being used.
- Pull the handle forward to activate the wire closing mechanism. The wire closer will stop automatically based on the size of the wire that was set. Return the handle to its upright position.
- Remove the book from the wire closer, then turn the back cover to the back of the book. This will conceal the seam of the binding wire and complete the binding process.