The Tamerica 213PB comb binding machine with wire closer and 3-hole punch is a versatile, multi-function comb binder that gives users the flexibility of binding with both plastic combs and spiral-o wires (which utilize the same 19-hole punch pattern as binding combs). The 213PB is designed to provide an budget-friendly and space-saving alternative to investing multiple single-function binding machines. Below is a step-by-step guide to binding books with the Tamerica 213PB comb binder with wire closer (including instructions for both comb binding, spiral-o wire binding, and 3-hole punching):
- Begin by assembling the machine (required on the first use only). Insert the binding handle onto the master shaft, then thread the screw through the handle into the shaft. Tighten to secure the handle in place.
- Use the included binding guage to measure the thickness of the document that is being bound to determine the correct punching depth and binding comb diameter to use.
- Adjust the side margin guide based on the sheet size of your document. The side guide is located on the left side of the machine base and can be moved by loosening the screw slightly, sliding it to the desired position, and tightening the screw.
- Disengage pins as necessary to elminate any partial holes from the edges of your document. Dies can be disengaged by pulling on the metal arm that corresponds to the hole until it stops.
- Use the adjustment knob (located on the right side of the machine) to set the depth margin to 1, 2, 3, or 4 as indicated on the binding guage. Note: The thicker your document, the greater the depth margin that will be needed to create an adequate bind.
- Insert up to 20 pages (based on 20 lb. paper) into the punching throat. Pull the binding handle forward to engage the punching dies and push it back to its upright position to complete the punch. Repeat in sets until all pages have been punched.
- Place a plastic binding comb onto the comb opener by aligning the solid spine of the comb against the metal fingers of the opener. The loops of the comb should be inserted between the open side of the comb facing up.
- Push the binding handle back to open the rings of the comb. Once the comb has been opened enough to insert the pages of your document, release the handle to keep the comb in the open position.
- Insert the pages of your book onto the open comb, starting with the front cover and working backward. If the book that you are binding is especially thick, you may find it easier to insert the pages in small sets.
- Return the binding handle to its upright position to close the comb. Lift the finished book straight up to remove it from the comb opener.
If you are binding with 19-loop spiral-o wires instead of plastic binding combs, follow the instructions below:
- Punch your document with the 19-hole comb binding pattern by following the instructions for steps 2-6 above.
- Adjust the set-pin located on the lower right side of the machine to match the diameter of the spiral-o wire being used.
- Insert the pages of your document onto the open wire. In order to hide the seam of the wire, the face of the back cover should be placed against the face of the front cover before the book is inserted onto the wire.
- Once all of the pages have been placed onto the wire, insert the wire into the wire closer (located below the disengaging dies). The open side of the wire should be flush against the back of the wire closer.
- Pull the binding handle forward using steady, even pressure to close the wire.
- Return the handle to its upright position and remove the book from the wire closer. Turn the back cover to the back of the book to complete the binding process.
If you would like to utilize the 3-hole punch feature of the Tamerica 213PB, follow the steps below:
- Jog the pages to be punched by tapping them against a table or other flat surface.
- Insert up to 15 sheets (based on 20 lb. paper) into the slot located at the back of the machine, immediately behind the comb opener.
- Pull the binding handle forward to punch the sheets, then return it to its upright position to complete the punch.
- Remove your sheets from the slot and repeat as necessary.